It is the only rest that remains of the former palace of the Duke of Medina. Located at the junction of Abbey Street San Roque and San Cristobal-and part of the church square.
The lack of data on this palace and tower deprives us know the date of their construction dates have only parallel that can give us a little light: in 1520, possibly because the palace was built, because the viceroy of Valencia, Don Diego Hurtado de Mendoza, forced by the events of the revolt Germania spent the night in the house of mr. Baltasar Vives, Mr. Verger, which implies the existence of a house with minimal defenses; in 1580 the Marquis of Denia purchase, expropriate or better in view of the specification developed between 1563 and 1580, Mr. Girona Joan Vives village of El Verger, annexing it to Denia.
Lacking that, the dates on the tower, must date it from its architectural features: the lack of windows or pointed Geminata and loopholes; the existence of four battlements, for a facade, vertical elements of defense, although defensive constructions belonging to the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, but its construction towers lasts until the early eighteenth century and the existence of two gunboats, which is a use of gunpowder, its construction allows us to venture to the middle of the sixteenth century, this type of construction begins in the late fifteenth century and lasted until the early seventeenth century.
The tower has a quadrangular, with the base steep that only conserves the facade of Abbey Street. The interior has five rooms 4 x 4 m2 approximately, although originally only had four. This interior is completely redesigned, with a change in the floors, which is evident in the fourth floor where subsistixen signals original wrought disappearance of the vaulted hall of the 1st floor of which they are only the boot around defining Rid your space on two new halls of smaller height. The ground floor warehouse functions, should be fenced, type very common in the towers.
Currently accessed inside the San Cristobal street and building continuous, all on the ground floor, access original still exists, although covered and masked, set up by arch outside and inside lowered ceiling, to which is accessed via a small drawbridge or a wooden staircase easily removable.
The tower has openings to the third floor where there are two small windows in the north and west facades, outside framed with rough masonry; the fourth floor has four battlements, built in rough ashlar and two side windows with benches, also in the north and west facades, the only occurred outside the Palace.
The building is constructed with limestone based masonry with lime mortar, with the most important structural elements or significant corner, gateway, small windows, battlements, windows, and part of the west facade of rough masonry. The cover, turn of the century, is an Arabic tile hipped, building identical to the original may not be ruled out that this TV.
The design of the tower is exempt, with defense in the roof to the four sides, but presumably the east facade was attached to the palace, as we indicate the absence of the corner stones of pumice in North east to the middle space that has no openings. These events and access to the first floor are the last stronghold defensive tower of the Palace and simultaneously defense element of the set.
The tower is currently protected by the “Decree of 22 April 1949 on the Protection of Spanish castles” (B.O.E. 5 May 1949), which protects all global military architecture. At the beginning of the current decade the Ministry of Culture began the initiation of proceedings for a declaration monumental, without at present had no news, although any day can realize their approval.
There is no doubt that this is the most representative building of historical and artistic people and more cargo.